Long-Term Care Insurance
Participants in the Virginia Sickness and Disability (VSDP) will have employer-paid long-term care coverage through a program administered by the Virginia Retirement System and Long Term Care Group Inc. Your enrollment occurs automatically.
What is Long-Term Care?
- A wide range of supportive, medical, personal and social services for people who need assistance for an extended period of time.
- Provides help with usual activities of daily living such as dressing and walking, often called custodial care. Needs may arise at any time due to an injury or illness or the affects of the natural aging process.
- Long-term care insurance is an affordable way to protect against the risk of losing your savings and assets to pay for Long-Term Care services
- Services for long-term care can be provided in the form of home care, assisted living facilities, adult day care or nursing facilities.
How the Plan Covers Your Care
To be eligible for benefits, the insured person must require supervision or verbal direction from another person due to a severe cognitive impairment such as Alzheimer's Disease or require substantial assistance from another person in at least two of the following six activities of daily living:
- transferring (getting in and out of bed or chairs)
What the Employer-Paid Plan Pay
When you qualify for benefits, the employer-paid plan available to VSDP participants will reimburse you for the actual expenses you incur, up to $96 a day for licensed nursing care, hospice care facility or an assisted living facility, up to a two-year lifetime maximum benefit of $70,080. If you are staying at home, the plan pays 50 percent of the maximum daily benefit amount, or $48 a day for care by a registered nurse or licensed professional, or home health aide, and for physical, occupational, speech or respiratory therapy.
Which Employee's are Eligible for the Employer-Paid Benefit?
- Full time and part time classified state employees who are active VRS members enrolled in VSDP
- State police officers who are active members of the State Police Officers Retirement System (SPORS)
- VA Law Officers Retirement System (VALORS)
- Full time teaching, research or administrative faculty of a state institution of higher education who are active VRS participants enrolled in VSDP
Employees not eligible for the employer-paid plan can still pay for Long-Term Care Insurance.
Visit Aetna's website to access Genworth Life's website.
Email your benefit questions to the Benefits Department.