Accounts Payable & Travel Reimbursement
Accounts Payable is responsible for ensuring that all payments for the College are processed in accordance with policies and procedures including Internal Revenue Service requirements, state coding requirements, and prompt payment. As a state agency, NOVA is required to pay for all completely delivered goods and services by the required payment due date. The due date is established by the terms of the contract. If no contract exists, NOVA is required to pay invoices 30 calendar days after receipt of a proper invoice or 30 days after receipt of goods/services, whichever date is later.
Invoice processing for Accounts Payable is primarily governed by the Commonwealth Accounting Policies and Procedures (CAPP) Manual, section 20310-Expenditures.
The College reimburses travel expense bases on state travel regulations, which can be found in the CAPP Manual, section 20335-State Travel Regulations.
- Cost Benefit Analysis (2013 Trip Calculator) – A copy of the cost benefit analysis must be attached to the Travel Expense Reimbursement Voucher when using your personal vehicle when daily mileage is 100 miles or more. Failure to include the cost benefit analysis will reduce the reimbursement rate. (NOTE: After you open or save the file to your computer, be sure to enable macros.)
Click here to access the 2013 Trip Calculator.
- New Mileage Rate – Personal Vehicle Use (effective January 1, 2013)
The mileage rate for travel paid or incurred as of January 1, 2013 is 56.5 cents per mile when daily mileage is less than 100 miles or when a cost benefit analysis indicates that using a personal vehicle is less expensive than using the Enterprise Rent-A-Car contract. For mileage 100 miles or more per day when no cost benefit analysis is provided (attached to the Travel Expense Reimbursement Voucher), the rate of 24.6 cents per mile remains the same.
- Intra Campus Mileage Rate Chart – (effective May 1, 2013) The following mileage amounts and rates will be used for all travel expense reimbursements.
- Authorization for Higher Lodging Rates - This form is required when lodging for overnight travel is in excess of the approved per diem rate. For all official College business travel, the agency head (president) or designee is authorized to approve reimbursement in advance, for lodging up to an additional 50% over the guidelines when circumstances warrant. An explanation of the circumstances justifying the lodging exception must be provided below. For example, this exception may be justified for conference hotels where it can be shown that the additional lodging cost will be offset by reduced local travel costs incurred for travel (e.g., taxi or rental car expense avoided) between a non-conference hotel and the conference location. This approved form must be attached to the employee’s Travel Expense Reimbursement Voucher. If the higher lodging rate is not approved in advance, reimbursement will be made at the approved per diem rate.
2013 Intra Campus Mileage Rate Chart (PDF)
- Higher Lodging Rate – The Authorization for Reimbursement of Higher Lodging Rate form must be used when lodging for overnight travel is in excess of the approved per diem rate. For all official college business travel, the Agency Head (President), or designee is authorized to approve reimbursement in advance for lodging up to 50 percent over the guidelines when circumstances warrant. An explanation of the circumstances justifying the lodging exception must be provided on the form and attached to the travel expense reimbursement request.