The NOVA College Board performs duties with respect to the operation of the community college as delegated to it by the State Board. NOVA's College Board is responsible for assuring that NOVA is responsive to the higher education and workforce needs that exist in our service region within statewide policies, procedures and regulations of the State Board for Community Colleges.
The specific duties of a college board include the following:
- The college board shall elect a chair and other such officers from its membership as it deems necessary and shall adopt such rules and regulations as are considered necessary to conduct its business in an orderly manner.
- The college board and the members thereof shall serve as channels of communication between the State Board and the governing bodies of the local political subdivisions.
- The college board shall submit its recommendations to the State Board for a name for the community college and each campus of a multi-campus college. In the name of each community college shall be included the phrase "Community College." The college board shall be authorized to provide names for any facilities on the college campus.
- The college board shall provide recommendations to the State Board on the development of the site plan and on the design, and construction, or facilities for the community college.
- The college board shall participate with the Chancellor and the State Board in the selection, evaluation, and removal of the president of the community college in accordance with procedures adopted by the State Board.
- The college board shall participate, with the college president, the Chancellor, and the State board, in the development and evaluation of a program of community college education of high quality in accordance with procedures adopted by the State Board.
- The college board shall be responsible for eliciting community participation in program planning and development, establishing local citizens' advisory committees for specialized programs and curricula, and approving the appointments of all members of these committees.
- The college board shall review all new curricular proposals for the community college and shall recommend those proposals that it supports to the State Board. It shall also review proposals for the discontinuation of programs and shall communicate its recommendations on such proposals to the State Board.
- The college board shall oversee the development and evaluation of the community services program for the community college, and may authorize the president to grant an "award of completion" to a person successfully completing an approved non-credit program.
- The college board shall be kept informed of the fiscal status of the college by the college president and shall receive summaries of the biennial financial plan and the annual spending plans.
- The college board shall review and approve a detailed local funds budget for the community college as prepared by the college president within State Board guidelines, and shall submit this proposed budget to the State Board for review at the time of its submission to the local political subdivisions. In addition, the college board shall submit a financial statement showing detailed expenditures of such local funds to the local political subdivisions and the State Board at the end of the fiscal year.
- The college board shall be responsible for reviewing and approving local regulations on student conduct developed by the college president within the guidelines of the State Board.
- The college board shall be responsible for the review and approval of a budget prepared by the college president for the expenditure of revenues from vending commissions and auxiliary enterprises, including the student activity fund, within the guidelines established by the State Board. The college board shall be responsible for reviewing and approving periodic reports of revenues and expenditures within these funds.
- The college board shall be responsible both for reviewing reports of audit and for reviewing the college president's response to those reports of audit.
- The college board shall be informed of personnel matters by the college president.
Composition of the Board
The board shall consist of eleven (11) members. The cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, and Manassas Park, and the counties of Arlington, Loudoun, and Prince William shall have one representative each, and the County of Fairfax shall three representatives.
Length of Terms of Board Members
The Policy Manual (Section 2.IX.D3.d) for the Virginia Community College System makes the following provisions:
"Members shall be appointed for a term of four (4) years . . . No person having served on the community college board for two successive four-year terms shall be eligible for reappointment to the college board for two years thereafter provided that a person appointed to fill a vacancy may serve two additional successive terms."