When you register for a class at NOVA, you are making a commitment to attend the class regularly, either in person or online. Since the Commonwealth of Virginia contributes a significant portion of your educational costs, you must establish your attendance or participation early in the semester, rather than taking a seat that might have gone to another student. The census date marks the last day to make that change.
If you do not attend at least one class meeting or participate in an online learning class by the census date (last day to drop with a tuition refund), your class registration will be administratively deleted.
Administrative deletion means:
- there will be no record of the class or any letter grade on your transcript;
- the course credits will be deducted from your course load;
- the reduction of credits may affect your student status (full-time or part-time); and
- you will not receive a tuition refund.
Spring 2018 Census Dates
- First 8-week session: January 18
- 16-week session: January 29
- 14-week session: February 8
- 12-week session: February 20
- 10-week session: March 5
- Second 8-week session: March 16
|ELI Session||Start Date||Census|
|16 week||January 10||January 27|
|First 8-week||January 10||January 18|
|First 12-week||January 10||January 22|
|Second 8-week||January 31||February 8|
|Second 12-week||January 24||February 5|
|Third 8-week||February 21||March 1|
|Third 12-week||February 14||February 26|
|Fourth 8-week||March 14||March 22|
For variable duration (dynamic) classes, the census date is individually set. For these variable duration classes, in the Student Information System, click on the class. The date for Drop Without Penalty is the last date to drop with a refund.