Join a Learning Community
Learning Communities either combine the content of two or more courses, or consist of a common cohort of students enrolled in the same class(es) with similar interests. The linked classes and faculty work together on shared assignments and learning opportunities.
The goal is to build community and to foster connections among students, their professors and their disciplines. Learning Communities provide an opportunity for students to build a supportive academic network.
During the FYE learning community course students will:
- Attend the FYE Convocation
- Participate in the FYE Reading Program
- Meet a peer mentor
- Receive specialized assistance with registration
- Focus on topics that are really interesting and relevant to first year students
- Meet other first year students and supportive faculty and staff
- Engage in meaningful activities outside of the classroom that promote social networking and community service
Check the Schedule of Classes or NOVAConnect to find an open FYE Learning Community!