Breadcrumb Navigation:

Home > Current Students > Paying for College > Financial Aid > Education Tax Credit

Education Tax Credit

You or your parents may be able to claim tax credits toward the tuition paid for your post secondary education. Tax credits reduce the amount of tax you or your parents owe.

For any questions you may have pertaining to 1098Ts, please contact the college tax hotline at 703.323.2402.

To view or print 1098T forms issued by NOVA please follow these directions.

There are two education tax credits: the Hope Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit.

  • Hope Credit
    Under the Hope Credit, you or your parents may claim a tax credit of up to $1,800 for up to two years. Qualified applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent and be enrolled half time or more in a degree or certificate program for at least one academic period during the tax year. The Hope Credit can only be claimed for the first two years of post-secondary education.
  • Lifetime Learning Credit
    Under the Lifetime Learning Credit, you or your parents may claim a credit of up to $2,000 each tax year for an unlimited number of years. The Lifetime Learning Credit applies to tuition and fees for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education classes taken part-time. If a taxpayer is claiming a Hope credit for a particular student, none of that student's expenses may be applied to the Lifetime Learning credit.

Get Started

  • Verify that the Admissions Office has an accurate Social Security or Taxpayer Identification Number and current address for you and any individual who can claim you as a dependent on their federal tax return
  • Keep copies of documents related to payment of qualified tuition and fees, such as canceled checks, credit card statements, financial aid awards, scholarships received, and employer-paid tuition benefits
  • Visit or call 1.800.829.1040 for the relevant forms and documents