Site Search:

A browser that supports JavaScript is required to submit the NOVA site search form and to display search results.

Audience Navigation:

Topic Navigation:

Breadcrumb Navigation:

Home > Current Students > Military Services > Veterans > Getting Started

Getting Started - Military Services

Follow these steps for the Montgomery GI Bill:

Step 1: Apply for Admissions to NOVA. You MUST choose a degree plan or certificate in order to apply for VA Benefits. Also, please learn and understand NOVA's policy regarding our in-state/out-of-state tuition rate, especially if you are still on active duty, plan to get out, stay in Virginia and attend a Virginia State College.

Step 2: Apply online for VA Education Benefits. This step is a one-time requirement. If you have been issued a VA Educational Certificate of Eligibility, you can skip this step. If you can't complete an online application, you may use the paper application. For additional information about the different VA Educational Chapters, click here. Reserve/Guard members must also submit a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) from their Unit.

Additional Forms:

Step 3: Meet with an academic counselor to answer your questions regarding degree plans and classes. Contact the Student Service Center for more information.

Step 4: Register for your courses online using your My NOVA account. Then complete and submit a NOVA Veterans Enrollment Reporting Form (NOVA Form 125-63) to the Veteran Advisor. This form is required each semester for you to receive benefits. You must submit your Enrollment Reporting Form to the correct veteran advisor. For example, if the degree plan you choose is only offered at the Annandale Campus, you must turn in your paperwork to Annandale advisor. Please note: NOVA does not participate in the Advanced Payment Program.

  • Application and Enrollment Certification: VA Form 22-1990 (Music Students: If you are a music student and want to get reimbursement for your private lessons, you will need to submit this form to your Campus VA Advisor. Please see the music department Web page and their music student handbook for details on their music program.)

Step 5: Military transcript and prior college transcript evaluation. The Department of Veterans Affairs requires an evaluation of your military training/experience and all prior college credits. Send an official copy of your military transcript, and one from each college attended prior to the Student Services Center where your VA record is located to our. Complete and submit a Request for Evaluation form after all transcripts have been sent and you have been notified (normally by mail) that NOVA has received your transcripts. All credits must be evaluated by the end of your second semester, or the VA will stop payment of your benefits.

  • Army Transcripts: AARTS
  • Navy/Marine Corps Transcripts: SMART
  • Air Force Transcripts: CCAF
  • Coast Guard Transcripts: USCG

Step 6: The last day of each month is the first day you can verify your enrollment with the Department of Veterans Affairs for the month of school you are in. You may do this on the VA Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at:, or by calling the toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) at: 1.877.823.2378. Please do this promptly because you will not be paid until you complete this step. Remember to repeat this process on the last day of each month for which you are entitled to benefits.

NOTE: It is currently taking the Department of Veterans Affairs eight to 10 weeks to complete the payment process.

Step 7: Notify the Veterans Advisor of Changes to your enrollment immediately, by submitting a NOVA Veterans Enrollment Adjustment From. Adding and/or dropping courses may affect your pay. Avoid overpayment or underpayment of your education benefits by promptly reporting changes. You must also report any changes on your monthly verification to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Step 8: If you have special needs or disabilities please visit ourDisabilities Services Web page.