Statement of Principles
A statement of principles developed by the NOVA Committee for Environmentally-Friendly Construction was presented for consideration by the Administrative Council. The intent of these principles is to incorporate sustainable, environmentally sound best practices and resources in new construction and renovation projects and to include environmental considerations among top priorities in maintenance and operations.
- In new construction and in renovation projects, environmentally friendly, energy-efficient principles and practices will be a major consideration.
- NOVA will use energy and water efficiently, promote good environmental quality both indoors and out, and use sustainable and non-toxic materials whenever possible.
- NOVA will give significant priority to energy efficiency and environmental impact when purchasing equipment, materials, and supplies.
- NOVA will seek to institute and maintain an effective recycling program.
- NOVA will seek to increase awareness of sustainable principles and practices among its faculty, staff, and students.
The Administrative Council endorsed the statement of principles. It was agreed that the LEEDS principles (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) should be considered in all planning for new construction and renovation. Dr. Templin requested that the present committee continue to serve for the 2007-2008 academic year and that it recommend a structure, membership, and charge for a standing committee. This standing committee will be responsible for monitoring the college’s efforts in the areas noted in these principles.
A communications campaign to make the college community aware of NOVA’s commitment to these principles is needed. Dr. Templin noted that this is a project that belongs to everyone.