|NVCC 1997-1998 Catalog|
|Associate in Applied Science Degree||AN|
[ NVCC Home Page | Catalog Search | Table of Contents | Instructional Programs | Previous Page | Next Page ]
Purpose: The curriculum is designed to prepare students as effective members of the health-care team in assisting with diagnosis, treatment, management, and preventive care of patients with cardio-pulmonary problems. Upon successful completion of the program students are eligible to take the Entry Level and Advanced Practitioner examinations leading to certification as a Certified Respiratory Therapy Technician (CRTT) and registration as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (R.R.T.).
Students must comply with all General Requirements for Annandale Campus Health Technology Programs.
Additional Admission Requirements:
1. Attendance at a Respiratory Therapy Information session.
2. Completion of all program prerequisites.
3. One unit of high school-level algebra, one unit of high school-level biology, and one unit of high school-level chemistry or physics with a grade of "C" or higher within the last ten years (successful completion of college science and math courses may be substituted for high school requirements).
4. Students must qualify for ENG 111 and MTH 120 through acceptable scores on NVCC placement tests.
5. Students must take the NLN Pre-admission Examination and achieve scores at the 50th percentile in verbal abilities, mathematics, and science. Remedial assistance is available through courses and the learning resource center for students who do not achieve acceptable scores. Students may retake the examination until the required scores are achieved.
Prerequisite Admission Requirements: Students must complete NAS 150, Human Biology, 4 credits, or the equivalent with a grade of “C” or better.
Completion Requirements: Students must pass the natural sciences and RTH courses with at least a “C” grade. All incomplete grades (“I”) in RTH courses must be resolved prior to taking the next course in sequence. All RTH courses (both lecture and clinical) must be taken within the prescribed semester sequence.
Special Accreditation Status: The program is accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP), in cooperation with the Joint Review Committee for Respiratory Therapy Education.
Total credits for the A.A.S. Degree in Respiratory Therapy = 68 (72 credits including NAS 150 prerequisite).
1 Social science courses may be selected from the following: economics, geography, history, political science, psychology, or sociology (includes anthropology). PSY 205 or SOC 245, 246, or 247 recommended.
2 The PED requirement may be met by one of the following options: PED 116, 2 cr.; PED 220, 2 cr.; PED 116, 1 cr. plus a PED activities course, 1 cr.; or PED 116, 1 cr. plus RPK 205, 207, 208, 216, or 225. PED 116 is offered as both a 1-credit and a 2-credit course.
Last revised: Saturday, Jun-25-2005 10:49
Comments to: email@example.com