NVCC 1997-1998 Catalog
    Administrative Information

Financial Information

[ NVCC Home Page | Catalog Search | Table of Contents | Previous Page | Next Page ]

Application Fee
    There is no fee for the submission of an Application for Admission.

    Tuition rates are printed in the Schedule of Classes. Tuition is due upon registration. Payment of tuition entitles you to use the library, bookstore, student lounge, and other facilities of the College except parking. There are no special library fees. You must pay for any school property that you damage or lose, such as laboratory or shop equipment, supplies, library books and materials.
    Some courses such as music, physical education and aviation require non-college support services from other agencies and individuals. Costs for these additional charges are paid by you directly to the individual or agency providing the service.
    All tuition and fees are approved by the State Board for Community Colleges which has the authority to change any and all tuition and fees without prior notice.

In-State Tuition Eligibility
    To be eligible for in-state tuition rates, you must be domiciled in Virginia for a minimum of one year before the first official day of classes. See the "Domicile Requirements" section which follows for details.
    To change your tuition status from out-of-state to in-state you must initiate the process by completing an Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates form. This form can be obtained at the Office of Admissions and Records on your home campus. It must be completed and returned to your home campus for review before the registration period begins for the semester in which the in-state charges will take effect.
    The College reserves the right to collect the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition charges when the wrong tuition rate is paid. The Office of Admissions and Records on your home campus can clarify any question concerning domicile status.

Domicile Requirements
    All applicants for admission to Northern Virginia Community College, who are claiming entitlement to in-state tuition privileges, are required by the Code of Virginia, 23-7.4, to complete an Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates form.
    To be eligible for in-state tuition, you must be domiciled in Virginia for a minimum of one year before the first official day of classes (excluding restricted INS classifications). Domicile is defined as your "present, fixed home where you return following temporary absences and where you intend to stay indefinitely." In essence, domicile has two parts, and you must meet both to qualify for in-state tuition. You must reside in Virginia, and you must intend to keep this as your home indefinitely.
    As a dependent, you have the same domicile as your parents or legal guardian. You are presumed to be a dependent of your parent or legal guardian if you are under the age of 24, unless you (1) are a veteran or active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces; (2) are a graduate or professional student (beyond a bachelor's degree); (3) are married; (4) are a ward of the court or were a ward of the court until age 18; (5) have no adoptive or legal guardian when both parents are deceased; (6) have legal dependents other than a spouse; or (7) are able to present clear and convincing evidence that you are financially self-sufficient. Children and the dependent spouse of a Virginia domiciliary may be eligible for in-state tuition. Supporting documents and additional information may be requested.

    The College will review many factors when determining your domicile, following are some examples:

  1. Residence during the past year prior to the first official day of classes.
  2. State to which income taxes are filed or paid.
  3. Driver's license.
  4. Motor vehicle registration.
  5. Voter registration.
  6. Employment.
  7. Property ownership.
  8. Sources of financial support.
  9. Other social or economic ties with Virginia and other states.

    But, the presence of any or all of these factors does not automatically result in Virginia domicile. The factors used to support a case for in-state tuition benefits must have existed for one year before the first official day of classes. Contact the Admission and Records Office at your home campus for additional information.

Information for Military Families
    This is a summary of the State Council of Higher Education of Virginia domicile guidelines, based on the Code of Virginia, 23-7.4, as they relate to active duty military personnel, their spouses and dependents, who may not otherwise qualify for in-state tuition privileges. These guidelines are subject to annual legislative review and change; normally changes take effect on July 1 of each year.

1. Active Duty Military Personnel (Service member)
    An active duty military service member may qualify for a waiver of the one-year residency requirement by voluntarily electing to establish domicile in Virginia. The one-year residency requirement will be waived if all other conditions for establishing domicile are met, including, but not limited to, Virginia resident income taxes on all income (Leave/Earning Statement showing Virginia tax withheld), Virginia State of Legal Residence Certificate (DD 2058), Virginia driver's license, and Virginia vehicle registration. Copies of these documents must be provided by the student to claim eligibility for this waiver prior to the beginning of the semester/term for which in-state charges are requested.

2. Spouse
    The spouse of an active duty military person may qualify independently for in-state tuition as any other student by establishing domicile in Virginia for one year. Alternatively, the spouse may qualify for in-state tuition charges without establishing domicile by demonstrating either of the following special circumstances:

  1. Working in Virginia. The spouse must have resided in Virginia, been employed full-time (earned at least $8500), and paid personal income tax to Virginia for one (1) year immediately prior to the first official day of classes.
  2. Dependency. The spouse may show dependence on the service member who is domiciled in Virginia or who has established eligibility for the one-year waiver. Dependent status is defined as substantial financial support (over 50%).
  3. Children. Children in military families may qualify by demonstrating dependency on an active duty military parent domiciled in Virginia, or by demonstrating dependency on the non-military parent who has resided in Virginia, been employed full-time (earned at least $8500), and paid personal income tax to Virginia for one (1) year immediately prior to the first official day of classes. The child must be claimed as a dependent on the Virginia income tax return.

When enrollments must be limited for any program or course, first priority shall be given to qualified students who are domiciled in one of the political subdivisions supporting the College. These subdivisions are listed under "General Information."
    Domicile requirements are subject to any changes in Virginia law pertaining to entitlement to reduced tuition charges.

Tuition Payment
    Tuition is payable by cash, check, money order, contract, approved financial aid (except work study), VISA or MasterCard. Credit cards are accepted for tuition, service charges, parking fees, and fines. Checks and money orders (payable to NVCC) will generally only be accepted for the exact amount due. Also, checks must include the studentís name and studentís identification number.
    A service charge of $20.00 is charged to you for any check that is dishonored, except when the bank is at fault. A dishonored check is defined as a check returned for insufficient funds, stop payment, or any other reason. A dishonored check is considered a debt to the College. Refer to the Section of Non-Payment of Debts and Holds on Student Records for additional information. A dishonored check that is not an error of the bank must be redeemed with cash, certified check, or money order. Personal checks will not be accepted for one year after the date of payment to the College for the dishonored check.

Tuition Refunds
    Tuition refunds are not automatic except for courses canceled by the College.
    You are eligible for a full refund if you drop one or more of your courses during the official add/drop periods as published in the Schedule of Classes and as indicated on your official receipt form. For special session classes the refund period is proportionate to the length of the class. Requests for refunds for ELI courses must be made in writing to ELI and postmarked within 15% of your enrollment period. Refund dates will be included in the packet mailed to you by ELI when you register. There is no tuition refund after the refund period has passed, except in cases where there is (1) an administrative error by either the VCCS or the College; (2) extended illness or injury of the student; (3) death of student or immediate family member; or (4) a national emergency declared by the President. Any of these instances must have occurred after the add/drop period. No refunds will be granted after the last date for withdrawal of the course. Requests that meet the above criteria must be submitted to the business manager of the student's home campus along with supporting documentation prior to the last date for withdrawal of the course.

Non-Payment of Debts
    Continued attendance at NVCC is dependent upon proper settlement of all debts owed the institution. Should you fail to satisfy all due and payable amounts for tuition and fees, College loans, College fines, dishonored checks or other debts you owe the College, you may be dropped from your courses. Until all current debts have been satisfied, a hold will be placed on your records. See "Holds on Student Records."
    If the College has agreed to accept tuition payment from a student's employer or other third-party provider, and the tuition is not paid within the required time, the student is responsible for the tuition payment. As stated above, continued enrollment is dependent upon proper settlement of the debt. If not paid, the student may be dropped from his or her courses. If the student is dropped, the debt to the College is not forgiven.

Holds on Student Records
    A hold will be placed on your official record under certain conditions. Non-payment of financial obligations such as tuition, college fines, and other debts will result in a hold on your record. A hold will restrict you from registering, having transcripts or grade reports issued, or receiving other college services. Disciplinary action, academic suspension, or dismissal will also result in a hold on your registration.
    The College may utilize collection agencies and offsets of state income tax returns to secure payment of indebtedness.

Graduation Fee
    There is no fee for graduation. Students are required to purchase academic regalia to be worn for the Commencement ceremony.

Books and Supplies
    You are expected to obtain your own books, supplies, and consumable materials needed in your studies. A bookstore is located on each campus. Check the Schedule of Classes for hours.

    An NVCC transcript of your academic record may be issued from your home campus Office of Admissions and Records upon your written request or completion of NVCC form 125-89, Request for Transcript. You should submit your request at least 10 working days before the transcript is needed. There is no fee for transcripts. Official transcripts are released only after you have completed one course at NVCC. Financial Aid transcripts are available at no cost through your home campus Financial Aid Office.

Library Fines
    There are charges for overdue and lost library materials. Lost material payments are not refundable. This rule also applies to books and materials you borrow from other libraries by using your NVCC student ID card.
    A fine of ten cents a day (with a maximum fine of $5.00) will be charged for regular circulating material. Fines for reserved materials are $1.00 per day (with a $15.00 maximum). Lost material charges are the replacement cost of the lost item plus $5.00.

Vehicle Parking Fee
    If you wish to park a vehicle in the student parking lots on campus, you must purchase a parking permit each semester from the Campus Police and Public Safety Office or the Parking Services Office. Display of a permit entitles you to use any student parking lot on any campus. Specific dates after which permits are required to be displayed are listed in the Schedule of Classes. Additional parking information with current regulations and procedures is available in the Parking Services brochure obtainable from the Campus Police and Public Safety Offices or the Parking Services Offices. NVCC reserves the right to change any or all parts of the parking regulations as necessary. All changes will be posted in appropriate locations.
    A limited number of parking meters are available at each campus. No permit is needed to park in a parking meter space. Displaying a valid parking permit does not constitute payment to a meter.

Last revised:
Comments to: webmaster@nvcc.edu