NVCC 1996-1997 Catalog
General Education Goals & Objectives
[ NVCC Home Page | Catalog Search | Table of Contents | Instructional Programs | Previous Page | Next Page ]
The College has established goals and objectives for each degree program to
enhance your learning experiences beyond the major area of study. The
following are the College's general education goals and objectives:
Goal: Students will demonstrate college-level communication skills.
- Students will be able to write in organized, clear, and grammatically
correct English appropriate for a specific subject and audience.
- Students will be able to speak English fluently, competently, and
- Students will demonstrate the ability to understand and interpret both
written texts and oral presentations in English.
Goal: Students will develop skills to enhance life-long learning.
- Students will value life-long learning.
- Students will be able to use library and other appropriate resources to
retrieve useful information.
- Students will develop time management skills.
Goal: Students will demonstrate critical thinking skills.
- Students will be able to differentiate among facts, opinions,
assumptions, and inferences.
- Students will be able to formulate and test hypotheses.
- Students will be able to generate and evaluate alternative solutions to
- Students will be able to make valid judgments and rational decisions.
- Students will demonstrate intellectual curiosity, independence of
thought, imagination, and creativity.
Goal: Students will display general knowledge and historical
- Students will demonstrate an awareness of the significance of time and place.
- Students will display a knowledge of American culture.
- Students will demonstrate a knowledge of history, literature, the arts,
science, mathematics, the social sciences, language, and communication,
and of relationships among various disciplines.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of contemporary issues, and
the historical and cultural context from which these issues developed.
- Students will demonstrate a knowledge of and appreciation for cultural
Goal: Students will understand and be able to interpret and
manipulate numerical data.
- Students will perform basic mathematical operations and apply them to
- Students will be able to read, interpret, and analyze graphs, tables,
statistics and survey data.
- Students will be able to identify and use available resources related to
Goal: Students will understand the impact of science and technology
and will develop skills needed to use modern technology.
- Students will demonstrate a working knowledge of fundamental scientific
- Students will demonstrate the applications and limitations of the
- Students will understand the historical/cultural context in which
scientific/technological issues developed.
- Students will be able to analyze the cultural, political, and ethical
implications of scientific and technological issues.
- Students will demonstrate appropriate use of instruments of modern
- Students will be computer literate and will be able to use a computer
system, both hardware and software, appropriate to the discipline or
program of study.
Goal: Students will enhance their social and educational values.
- Students will display academic honesty.
- Students will be able to identify and evaluate ethical issues and
- Students will be capable of setting personal goals.
- Students will take responsibility for their own actions and will
understand the consequences of those actions.
- Students will feel free to express their own viewpoints while
maintaining respect for the viewpoints of others.
- Students will demonstrate respect for others, including those of all
ages, races, cultures, national origins, religions, genders, and
- Students will be informed about and contribute to their community and
- Students will recognize the importance and responsibility of the
individual in our democratic society.
Goal: Students will recognize wellness as being a dynamic process in
developing a healthy lifestyle.
- Students will practice physical fitness activities appropriate to their
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the principles of
emotional and psychological wellness and how these affect their lives.
- Students will make positive behavioral changes based upon attitudes,
values, behaviors, and skills providing physical and emotional well-
Last revised: Saturday, Jun-25-2005 10:39
Comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org