|NVCC 2001-2002 Catalog|
|Associate in Applied Science Degree AN|
[ NVCC Home Page | Catalog Search | Table of Contents | Instructional Programs | Divisions | Previous Page | Next Page ]
Purpose: The curriculum is designed to prepare students as effective members of the health care team in assisting with diagnosis, treatment, management, and preventive care of patients with cardiopulmonary problems. Upon successful completion of the program, students are eligible to take the Entry Level and Advanced Practitioner examinations leading to certification as a Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) and registration as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT).
Transfer Information: NVCC has formal articulation agreements for transfer to the B.S. in Health Sciences-Health Care Management at Old Dominion University TELETECHNET and Old Dominion University at Norfolk, VA, as well as the B.S. in Health Occupations Education at Virginia Tech.
Students must comply with all General Admission Requirements for Annandale Campus Health Technology Programs. (See page 99.)
Additional Admission Requirements:
1. Attendance at a Respiratory Therapy Information session.
2. Completion of all program prerequisites.
3. One unit of high school level algebra, one unit of high school level biology, and one unit of high school level chemistry or physics with a grade of C or higher within the last ten years (successful completion of college science and math courses may be substituted for high school requirements).
4. Students must qualify for ENG 111 and MTH 120 through acceptable scores on NVCC placement tests.
5. Students must take the NLN Pre-Admission Examination and achieve scores at the 50th percentile in verbal abilities, mathematics, and science. Remedial assistance is available through courses and the learning resource center for students who do not achieve acceptable scores. Students may retake the examination until the required scores are achieved.
Prerequisite Program Requirement: Students must complete NAS 150, Human Biology, 4 credits, or the equivalent with a grade of C or better.
Completion Requirements: Students must pass the natural sciences and RTH courses with at least a C grade. All incomplete grades (I) in RTH courses must be resolved prior to taking the next course in sequence. All RTH courses (both lecture and clinical) must be taken within the prescribed semester sequence.
Special Accreditation Status: The program is accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) in cooperation with the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
Total credits for the A.A.S. Degree in Respiratory Therapy = 68 (72 with a 4 credit NAS prerequisite).
To graduate from a degree program, students entering NVCC Fall 1999 or later must demonstrate computer competency skills as described in the Degree Requirements section of the Instructional Programs of this catalog.
1 The social science elective may be selected from the following: economics, geography, history, political science, psychology, or sociology (includes anthropology). PSY 205 or SOC 207, 245, 246, or 247 are recommended.
2 The PED requirement may be met by one of the following options: PED 116, 2 cr.; PED 220, 2 cr.; PED 116, 1 cr. plus a PED activities course, 1 cr.; or PED 116, 1 cr. plus RPK 205, 208, 216, or 225. PED 116 is offered as both a 1-credit and a 2-credit course.
Last revised: Monday, Jan-25-2010 17:08
Comments to: Programming Support Services