NVCC 2000-2001 Catalog
    Administrative Information

Admission Requirements

[ NVCC Home Page | Catalog Search | Table of Contents | Divisions | Previous Page | Next Page ]

Admission to the College
    If you have a high school diploma or the equivalent, or you are at least 18 years of age, and you are able to benefit from enrollment, you are eligible for admission to Northern Virginia Community College.
    All applicants must complete the Application for Admission. At this time, you are strongly advised to seek the assistance of counselors for academic, career, or transfer information.
    Students are accepted on a first-come/first-served basis with priority given in the following order: (1) legal residents domiciled in the cities and counties supporting the College, (2) other Virginia legal residents, (3) out-of-state applicants, and (4) international students requiring Form I-20. For certain health technology programs, "counties supporting the College" may include those in which clinical affiliates have contractual agreements with NVCC. It is even more important for you to apply early to the College if you are interested in being admitted to a particular curriculum. Certain programs have limited enrollment. Some of these curricula may have waiting lists.
    High school transcripts are used for academic advisement to enhance your prospects for success in your chosen curriculum. These transcripts are required in order to be considered for admission to the following curricula: Veterinary Technology, Dental Hygiene, Medical Laboratory Technology, Nursing, Physical Therapist Assistant, Radiography, and Respiratory Therapy. Transcripts are preferred for Emergency Medical Services Technology and Health Information Technology programs. Contact the appropriate campus Counseling Office regarding admission to these programs.
    Application for Admission forms may be mailed to the Admissions and Records Office of your choice or brought to the campus during registration. You are urged to submit your Application for Admission to the College at least 30 days prior to the first day of registration for the semester in which you plan to enroll. This should provide you with the opportunity to meet with a counselor for academic assistance prior to registration. If you do not mail your application at least two weeks before registration, you should take the application to your selected home campus.
    The College reserves the right to evaluate Applications for Admission and to refuse admission to applicants when it is considered to be in the best interest of the College or when there is sufficient reason to believe that they present a danger to themselves or to other members of the College community.
    When you enroll as a student at NVCC, you accept the rules and regulations of the College. Any violation will be subject to appropriate action by the College.

Admission to a Curriculum
    In addition to the general admission requirements for acceptance by the College, there are specific curricular requirements listed in the "Instructional Programs" section of this catalog. Check the curriculum of your choice to see if you have met the required prerequisites for enrolling in that curriculum. If you do not meet these requirements, you may be able to make up deficiencies by taking developmental or other courses.
    To change from one curriculum to another, you must contact a counselor to initiate completion of a new Program Placement form.

International Students
    Admissions offices must comply fully with federal law and regulations regarding admission of non-immigrant students and issuance of I-20 forms for student visas (F-1/M-1). Except as restricted by federal law or regulation, College policies apply equally to all students regardless of immigration status.

English Language Requirement. If your native language is not English, you must complete the English Placement Test (EPT) before you register for classes. Your test score may require that you complete English as a Second Language (ESL) coursesóin the credit or non-credit programóbefore you enroll in any other courses. Information on the requirement is available from the Admissions and Records Office.

Student Visas (F1/M1 Status). NVCC is authorized by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) to enroll non-immigrant international students.
    If you require student immigration status (F1/M1), the following prerequisites must be met before the College can issue a certificate of eligibility for student immigration status (I-20 form):

    For enrollment in degree/certificate Programs:
1. You must be in the United States at the time of your application to the College.
2. You must apply for full-time enrollment to the College.
3. You must submit documentation of eligibility, including the following items:


a. The equivalent of an American high school diploma.
b. Official transcripts and records of previous educational experiences translated into English and certified by the institution you attended.
c. Verification of financial support.
d. A TOEFL score of at least 500. Applicants who are in the local geographical area may satisfy this requirement by successfully completing the College English proficiency test.

    All required documents and test scores for I-20 applicants must be received sixty (60) days prior to the beginning of classes for the semester you plan to attend.
    After you have provided the required documentation, been admitted for full-time enrollment, and been placed in a degree program, a form I-20 is issued by the College.
    If you are in the United States and already have F1 or M1 status but wish to transfer to NVCC, you must first complete at least one term at the school that issued you the I-20. If you currently hold another type of immigration status, or need further information about student visas, you should contact the Admissions and Records Office.

For enrollment in English as a Second Language (ESL) non-credit programs. The availability of non-credit ESL programs varies by campus. You should contact the Continuing Education Office at the campus of your choice for information about these programs and procedures for requesting an I-20 form for ESL study.

Dual Enrollment of Current High School Students and Home School Students
    If you have not yet earned a high school diploma or its equivalent, you may be able to attend the College under certain conditions. If you are at least 16 years of age, presently enrolled in high school and wish to be admitted to the College and take classes, you must have the permission of your high school principal or his/her representative.
    Some of your College courses may fulfill Virginia high school graduation requirements if you have prior written approval of your high school principal. In some cases the College has existing dual enrollment arrangements with local public schools whereby the college credits you earn may be applied toward your high school diploma while you also receive college credit.
    NVCC will also consider the admission of students who are at least 16 years old, who are not attending a public or private school, and who are home school students. The acceptance of such students may be considered as enrichment to the home school program but is not intended to substitute for the home school experience. Prior to admission, students who are home schooled must provide a current copy of a signed home school agreement between the appropriate school system and the authorizing parent or guardian.
    The following policies will apply to the enrollment of dual enrollment and home school students:

1. The College reserves the right to evaluate applications for admission and to refuse admission to applicants when it is considered to be in the best interest of the College.
2. Prior to admission, an applicant who does not have a high school diploma, and is not at least 18 years old will be required to demonstrate appropriate basic skills compatible with the College academic expectations.
3. All students of Northern Virginia Community College, regardless of age, are subject to all of the rules, policies, and procedures of the College pertaining to attendance, confidentiality of records, conduct, etc., as found in the College Catalog and the College Student Handbook.

Student Identification
    You are requested to use your social security number as an identification number at the time you apply for admission. If you are unable or unwilling to provide this number, a substitute identification number will be assigned to you. The social security number identification system provides a consistent and efficient means for grade reporting, class rolls, and other records.
    Applicants for financial aid are required to submit social security numbers. Pell Grant Program applicants are advised that social security numbers are required by the U.S. Department of Education when processing applications.

Student Records Access
    The College enforces Public Law 93-380 in providing for the privacy of official student records and the rights of students to review these records. You may review your official records by making a request to the Office of Admissions and Records. The College will not release any personally identifiable information about you without your permission, except to certain school and governmental officials as provided by the law.
    Requests by individuals and agencies for release of student information must be presented in writing. Your permission for the College to release any information must also be in writing. Information that is considered public information is described in the current issue of the College Student Handbook.

Home Campus
    When you apply to the College, you must designate a home campus. Student records are maintained at the campus you designate.

Change of Home Campus. To change your home campus, you should complete a Change of Campus Request form and submit it to the Office of Admissions and Records at least five working days before the beginning of In-Person registration. If you receive financial aid, your financial records are retained at the College Financial Aid Office.

Assessment and Placement Testing
    Basic skills assessment and placement testing are intended to assist you in selecting courses and designing an academic program in which you will most likely be successful. These tests are not admissions tests.
    Prior to testing, you must have submitted an Application for Admission to the College. A photo identification is required when you come to the Testing Center to take the tests. You will not be permitted to take bookbags, coats, or other personal effects into the Testing Center.
    For information about testing or testing accommodations, contact the Counseling or Testing Center at your home campus.

1. Basic Skills Assessment
    Assessment of your strengths and weaknesses in reading, writing, and mathematics will help you determine the appropriate courses to select. This assessment is accomplished through a group of basic skills assessment tests administered through the Testing Center at each campus.
    If you are a degree-seeking student, you are encouraged to take basic skills tests in reading, writing, and mathematics before you register for classes.
    If you have not taken the basic skills tests and have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of less than 2.00 after the completion of 9 semester hours at NVCC, or if you are transferring to NVCC with a cumulative GPA of less than 2.00 (regardless of the number of hours completed), you must take the basic skills test in reading and writing. A counselor will determine if it is appropriate for you to take basic skills tests in mathematics as well.

2. Course Placement Testing
    Some courses require that you obtain a minimum score on one or more placement tests before you may enroll in those courses. If your scores on the required placement test(s) are below the prescribed minimums, you must complete prescribed developmental studies courses. The developmental studies course(s) required will be determined by your scores. These requirements apply to all campuses and ELI, unless specifically waived by the responsible division chair.
    The following courses require placement testing. See a counselor to determine the appropriate test to take for each course.

Aviation: ARO 121, 122
Chemistry: CHM 101, 111, 121, 140, 241
Computer Science: CS 100, 201
English: ENG 003, 005, 108, 111
ESL: ESL 002 through 020
Mathematics: MTH 003 through 007, 060, 103, 115, 120, 126, 150, 151, 157, 163, 166, 173, 175, 181, 213, 241, 270, 271
Music: MUS 111 (Loudoun only)
Physics: PHY 111, 201, 231, 241

Testing Centers:
Alexandria Campus: AA344
Annandale Campus: CG402A
Loudoun Campus: LC217A
Manassas Campus: MH112
Woodbridge Campus: WC456
Extended Learning Institute: You may take placement tests at any NVCC campus Testing Center.

    Placement test scores are valid for a limited time period according to the following:

1. English (reading and writing) scores are valid for 3 years; tests may be repeated after 12 months.
2. Math scores are valid for 12 months; tests may be repeated after 3 months.
3. English as a Second Language (ESL) scores are valid for 12 months; tests may be repeated after 3 months if you score below 50 and after 6 months if you score above 50.
4. Ability To Benefit (ATB) scores are valid for 12 months; tests may be repeated after 12 months.

3. Course Prerequisites
    Successful completion of some courses is required before enrolling in other courses. These prerequisites are identified in the course listing of this catalog. You cannot enroll in a course for which you do not meet one or more of the prerequisites, unless prerequisites are waived by the chair of the instructional division offering the course.
    In a course that requires placement tests, students who do not obtain the required minimum scores to enter a course must complete prescribed developmental studies courses before enrolling in the course.

Last revised:
Comments to: Programming Support Services