NVCC 1999-2000 Catalog
    Administrative Information


[ NVCC Home Page | Catalog Search | Table of Contents | Previous Page | Next Page ]

    Before you register for classes, you must be admitted to the College. Refer to the Schedule of Classes for specific instructions on how and when to register.

Extended Learning Institute (Home Study) Registration
    You may register for ELI courses at any time--by mail, through NOVAnet, or at any campus. Most courses begin when you register. Details are available by calling the Extended Learning Institute at (703) 323-3368. Students new to the College may apply at the same time as they register by mail with ELI. (International students and non-high school graduates must apply and be admitted to NVCC through a campus.) All course changes must be made by the last refund date that appears on your ELI syllabus. When registering for sequential courses, e.g., ENG 111 and ENG 112, sign up for only one course at a time. If you failed an ELI course, you may not re-enroll in the same section without permission of the instructor. To take 12 or more credits simultaneously through ELI, you must obtain permission from the director of the Extended Learning Institute. Call 323-3368 for information.

Change of Registration
    Schedule changes may be made by completing a Registration Worksheet and following the instructions in the Schedule of Classes. Failure to follow this procedure will place your enrollment in jeopardy. Changes are effective at the time they are processed.

1. Adding a Course
    You may add a course during registration, add/drop, or during the schedule adjustment with permission period with written permission of the faculty member and division chair, according to the dates published in the Schedule of Classes. If you add a course and then before paying your tuition decide not to take it, you must drop the course and process your drop form through the Business Office. Otherwise, you will be charged for the course.

2. Dropping a Course
    You may drop a course and receive a refund during the registration or the add/drop period or during the "schedule adjustment with permission" period as published in the Schedule of Classes.

3. Cancellation of a Section or Course by the College
    The College may cancel a course or section for any reason. Students enrolled in a canceled course or section will receive a tuition refund unless they transfer to another course carrying the same number of credits.

4. Withdrawal from a Course
    You may withdraw from a course within the first 60% of a session without academic penalty, and you will receive a grade of W. You must complete a Course Withdrawal form (NVCC 125-47) and submit it to the Office of Admissions and Records. Withdrawal after the first 60% of the session will result in a grade of F, except under mitigating circumstances which must be documented on the Course Withdrawal form, approved by the instructor, and submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records. This documentation will be retained electronically. See the "Grading System" section for explanation of grades.
    If you have received any veterans benefits, you must also report your withdrawal to the veterans advisor. Financial aid recipients who withdraw from all courses within the first 60% of a session are subject to the federally-required refund and repayment policies of the College. Financial aid applicants who withdraw from courses may have difficulty subsequently in achieving the satisfactory academic progress standards for financial aid. Failure to follow established procedures could affect your future eligibility for financial aid or veterans benefits.

Specific Course Schedule Changes
    The following items describe specific course schedule changes. In some circumstances, you may change courses or sections without additional tuition expense.

1. Regular Course to Developmental Course
    In cases where a student enrolls in an entry-level regular course for which there is a preparatory developmental course, and then has difficulty in keeping up with the regular course work in the first three weeks (21 calendar days) of the course, you may, with the approval of the instructor, initiate a drop, and enroll in a developmental course which is more suited to your capabilities. In making the transfer from the regular course to the developmental course, the student will be charged additional tuition on a per hour basis for any additional credit hours. If the exchange results in fewer credit hours, the student qualifies for a tuition refund only if the transaction occurs during the regular add/drop period for the course being dropped.

2. Developmental Course to Another Developmental Course
    Students may transfer from one developmental course to another within the same discipline using the add/drop procedure form even though this transaction may occur after the standard add/drop period for the sixteen-week session. In these cases, the three-week (21 calendar days) limit does not apply. No change in tuition occurs if the change from one developmental course to another developmental course occurs within the same discipline and the credit-hour values of the courses remain identical. Any credit hours which are added as a result of this course exchange will result in additional tuition on a per hour basis. If the exchange results in fewer credit hours, the student qualifies for a tuition refund only if the transaction occurs during the regular add/drop period for the course being dropped.

3. Course Changes
    Course changes after the end of the add/drop period require the approvals of the gaining instructor, the gaining division chair, and the provost. There is no refund for courses dropped and tuition is charged for courses added.

4. Course Section Changes
    You may request a change from one section to another of the same course and course length within the same semester after the add/drop period for the sixteen-week session if you can justify mitigating circumstances. This justification must be recorded on an add/drop form and approved by the instructors of the sections involved and their respective division chairs. If such changes are approved, no additional tuition will be charged.
    To change from a campus sixteen-week course to an ELI course after the add/drop period for the sixteen-week session, you must request approval from your campus dean of Student Development or division chair. The dean or division chair will contact ELI to determine course availability. If the change is approved, there is no refund eligibility for the ELI course. Changes from a campus to an ELI course will not be made after the halfway point of the semester.

Auditing a Course
    You may audit a course and attend without taking examinations. Registrations for audit will be accepted only during the add/drop period each semester, and the approval of the instructor and the division chair is required. The regular tuition rate is charged. Requests for credit enrollment in a class will be given priority over audit enrollment. You may also audit Extended Learning Institute courses.
    Audited courses carry no credit and do not count as a part of your course load. If you desire to change your status in a course from audit to credit, you must do so within the add/drop period for the session. Changes from credit to audit must be made by the official last day for students to withdraw from a class without penalty. NVCC form 125-12, Change from Credit to Audit, must be completed and submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records on or before the withdrawal date. After this day, the audit grade X is invalid if you are enrolled for credit.
    Contact the Office of Admissions and Records for instructions on auditing a course.

Senior Citizens Enrollment
    The Virginia Senior Citizens Higher Education Act of 1974, and amendments, provide educational benefits for Senior Citizens. If your age is 60 or over before the beginning of the term, your legal domicile has been Virginia for one year, and your federal taxable income for the year preceding enrollment did not exceed $10,000, you may enroll in courses for credit without charge on a space available basis.
    Regardless of your income, you may enroll in credit courses for audit (receive no credit) without charge and/or enroll in non-credit courses without charge on a space available basis. However, you will be required to pay for course/instructional materials when these are provided by the College. Audit and non-credit enrollment is limited to three courses in one term.
    You must complete an Application for Admission and be admitted to the College. You must also complete the NVCC form 105-88, Senior Citizen Certification of Eligibility for Free Tuition, and an NVCC Registration Worksheet. These must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records.
    You may register only at the start of the add/drop period, after tuition-paying students have registered. However, if you have completed seventy-five percent of your degree requirements, you may register at the same time as tuition-paying students.

Last revised:
Comments to: Programming Support Services