Try this activity before you come to Health Careers Expo.
Step1: List the occupation that you want to research.
For this search you will be using the on-line version of the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Step 2: Go to the Occupational Outlook Handbook:
Step 3: To find out about a specific occupation, click on the "OOH Search/A-Z Index" link located in the upper right corner of the page and then enter the occupation's name in the "Search OOH" box.
Step 4: Type in your occupation to search, i.e. emergency medical technician, radiologic technologist, respiratory therapist.
Using the information you have found, answer the following questions:
- What is the occupational outlook for the career? Is it a growing field or are there going to be fewer jobs in the future?
- What and where are the opportunities for this career?
- What kind of educational preparation does this career require for entry?
- What technical skills does this career require? Be specific.
- What kind of experience is required for entry into this career?
- What is the salary range for this career?
- List two related occupations to your career.
- List one address to find additional information about your career.
- What level math skills does this career require, i.e. algebra, calculus? (HINT: you may have to find this answer in another place. Try asking someone in the occupation