High School Outreach: Bridge Program
Would you like to improve your Math and English skills in order to begin your first semester in college level courses? Are you interested in making a smooth transition to college in Fall 2013? In this six-week summer program, students will receive instruction, remediation and tutoring in Math and English, as well as complete the SDV 100-College Success Skills Course. Upon completion of the program, students will retake the college placement tests to determine eligibility for enrollment into college level courses.
- Students possessing a high school diploma or the equivalent who are eligible for admission to Northern Virginia Community College.
- Students who have taken NOVA placement tests and have placed into developmental Math and/or English.
- High school graduates from the class of 2013 with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher who meet the criteria above are encouraged to apply.
- Regular attendance and participation in all class sessions, activities and events.
- Enrollment in the Student Development (SDV 100): This College Success Skills course is designed to assist students in making a successful transition to college. It provides students with the academic tools for success and teaches the skills of self-management and self-responsibility that relate to being a successful student. In addition, the course helps students learn how to make responsible choices about their academic, personal, and career goals. Information about the College and community resources, the College's policies and procedures, and the processes of moving effectively through the educational system is also provided.
- Work with Math faculty and tutors to increase their proficiency level in basic arithmetic and algebra.
- Work with English faculty and tutors to improve their reading comprehension, pace and writing techniques.
- Receive individualized long term academic advising.
- Become familiar with campus resources.
- Build a support network with students, faculty and staff.
- SDV 100 Tuition ($145.25)
- Math and English Instruction
- Textbooks/Instructional Materials
- Experiential Learning
June 25 - August 1, 2013
Tuesday and Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
For more information, contact Richmond Hill at 703.878.5768 or email@example.com. This program is sponsored by the Student Services Division and the Northern Virginia Community College Educational Foundation.