Tuition Payments & Refunds
You may pay by any of the following methods:
- FACTS Tuition Payment Plan - Further information at Financial Aid & FACTS
- Credit Card - Visa, MasterCard, and American Express are accepted on NOVACONNECT at http://www.nvcc.edu/novaconnect/
- Cash, Check, or Money Orders - Accepted in person at the campus Business Office.
- Financial Aid - To pay with approved financial aid, you must have received an Official Financial Aid Notification Letter from the NVCC College Financial Aid Office.
- Contract Payment & 3rd Party Payment - You must submit a letter to the campus Business Office from your employer, authorizing the College to bill them for the tuition, at the time you register, to ensure the contract is applied to your financial account.
Tuition refunds are not automatic, except for courses cancelled by the College. If you wish to drop a course, you must either use NovaConnect or complete a Registration and Tuition Worksheet (located in the printed schedule or online at http://www.nvcc.edu/forms) and submit it to your home campus Admissions and Records Office in person, by mail, or FAX (703) 257-6565. However the Registration Worksheet is submitted, it must be received in the Admissions and Records Office by the end of posted business hours on the last published drop date. If the drop form is received after that date, you will not be eligible for a tuition refund.
The last date that you may drop a course and receive a refund is indicated in the "Important Dates" page in the Schedule of Classes or in the College Calendar at http://www.nvcc.edu/calendars/. (ELI refund dates are included in the course information sent to you.) If the College cancels a course or you drop a full 16-week semester course by the published refund date (or within the first 15% of a shorter term course) you are eligible for a refund and the course will be deleted from your record. No refunds will be made after the specified dates. See Refunds after the Deadline Policy.
Only credit card payments made through the NovaConnect Web site will receive an automatic refund to the credit card if a class is dropped or cancelled. Credit card refund will not be processed at the campus Business Offices. All refunds for payments not made on the Web are processed by the Virginia State Treasurer's Office after the published "last day for tuition refund" date and should be received by mail within a few weeks of that date. Refund checks, except those requested by students who presented employer contracts, will be made payable to the student.
Student financial aid recipients, please refer to the College Financial Aid Home Page.
As previously mentioned, there is no tuition refund after the refund period has passed, except when special circumstances exist. Each request for an exception to the refund policy is handled separately and must be requested in writing by the student after withdrawal from the class. The business manager will review the facts in each case and obtain additional information and recommendations from other offices as necessary.
Refunds after the Deadline Policy
No requests for refunds will be considered once the withdrawal period for a class session is over.
Please be aware that all requests for refunds, made after the refund deadline, are exceptions to VCCS policy. The requests must be in writing, and addressed to the Business Manager.
Only those requests meeting the following criteria will be considered:
- Administrative error of the VCCS or Northern Virginia Community College.
- An extended illness or major medical emergency occurring during the semester in which you are registered which requires hospitalization, is life-threatening, or contagious and is a danger to the remainder of the college community. You must have been absent more than 10% of the session length. A written verification by the attending physician is required.
- Death of the student or a member of the student's immediate family (mother, father, sister, brother, husband, wife or child).
- A national emergency or mobilization declared by the President of the United States.
These restrictions are set by the State Board of the Virginia Community College System.
Steps for Requesting a Refund as an Exception to Policy
In order to request an exception to the established refund policy you must:
- Withdraw from all classes for the semester in question. Refund requests for only part of the classes for which you are enrolled cannot be considered unless college error or special circumstances are involved.
- Write a letter requesting a refund, stating the reasons you feel that a refund is justified. The letter should be addressed to the Business Manager of your home campus. The address for the Manassas Campus is: Northern Virginia Community College, Business Manager, 6901 Sudley Road, Manassas VA 20109.
- Attach any/all justifying documents such as doctor's statements, death certificates, or obituaries.
It is important that the request is submitted as soon as possible. If a refund is granted, it will be sent to your address that is filed with our Admissions and Records Office. If the refund is denied, you will receive a letter explaining that a refund was not possible.