ESL Center Resources
Video Tutorials: Lessons in Grammar I
- Episode 1: Articles
- Episode 2: Comma Splice
- Episode 3: Clauses
- Episode 4: Conditionals (Part 1)
- Episode 5: Conditionals (Part 2)
- Episode 6: Conditionals (Part 3)
- Episode 7: Conditionals (Part 4)
- Episode 8: Passive Voice
- Episode 9: Verb Tenses (Simple Present)
- Episode 10: Verb Tenses (Simple Past)
- Episode 11: Verb Tenses (Simple Future)
- Episode 12: Verb Tenses (Present Progressive)
- Episode 13: Verb Tenses (Past Progressive)
- Episode 14: Verb Tenses (Future Progressive)
- Episode 15: Verb Tenses (Present Perfect)
- Episode 16: Verb Tenses (Past Perfect)
- Episode 17: Verb Tenses (Future Perfect)
- Episode 18: Verb Tenses (Present Perfect Progressive)
- Episode 19: Verb Tenses (Past Perfect Progressive)
- Episode 20: Verb Tenses (Future Perfect Progressive)
Video Tutorials: Lessons in Grammar II
- Episode 1: Adjective Clauses (Part 1)
- Episode 3: Adjective Clauses (Part 3)
- Episode 4: Coordinating Conjunctions (Part 1)
- Episode 5: Coordinating Conjunctions (Part 2)
- Episode 6: Coordinating Conjunctions (Part 3)
- Episode 7: Essential and Non-Essential Clauses
- Episode 8: Noun Clauses (Part 1)
- Episode 9: Noun Clauses (Part 2)
- Episode 10: Question Words Followed by Infinitives
- Episode 11: Reported Speech and Quotations
- Episode 12: Reducing Adverb Clauses to Adverb Phrases (Part 1)
- Episode 13: Reducing Adjective Clauses to Adjective Phrases (Part 2)
- Visual Merriam-Webster
This website offers visual reference to words which is ideal to language-learning. Words are grouped in themes for easy reference. It is an invaluable resource for ESL/EFL students.
- Picture Dictionary
An excellent visual resource for beginning to intermediate level ESL/EFL students. Words are grouped in categories. This website offers fun activities to support learning vocabulary and spelling.
This website provides links to word definitions and various dictionaries. This website can be customized to one’s own preferences when searching for word definitions.
The Free Dictionary
This website provides comprehensive definitions of English vocabulary. It functions as a dictionary and a thesaurus. It is a wonderful resource for ESL/EFL students who would like to expand their vocabulary.
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English Online
This is the online version of the CD-ROM of the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, Updated Edition. It offers quickest and easiest way to look up any word while you are working on the web.
- Dictionary of English Idioms
ESL/EFL students often struggle in finding the meaning of idiomatic expressions. However, ESL/EFL students need not worry anymore because this website has a dictionary of 3,435 English idiomatic expressions.
- Dictionary of English Phrasal Verbs
This website has a list of 2,671 phrasal verbs most commonly used in the English language. The site offers wonderful definitions and lots of examples.
- 20 Common Grammatical Errors
This website gives you a list of the 20 most common grammatical errors in writing, and concise explanations and examples for each error pattern. An excellent resource for any college student.
- Guide to Grammar and Writing
ESL students need not search anymore. The index in this site contains references to almost all of your questions regarding grammar and writing plus ESL students can link to lots of interactive grammar quizzes.
Any English language learner knows that articles are one of the hardest grammatical units to master in the English language. This website from UNC provides one of the most detailed explanations on article usage.
This website groups grammatical lessons into six levels. Grammar lessons are presented via powerpoint presentations with lots of grammar practice worksheets.
- The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation:
A useful website that explains English rules with lots of helpful examples, amusing quizzes and video presentations on grammar rules such as use of punctuation and subject-verb agreement.
- Grammar Lessons from 5 Minute English:
Short and easy grammar explanations and exercises that you can practice any time!
- Daily Grammar Lessons:
A wealth of grammar lessons one can easily practice with by clicking the Lesson Archive. This website offers daily grammar lessons and a quiz every Saturday.
- Grammar Monster:
An excellent website that gives clear explanations of grammar rules. This website contains a comprehensive list of common grammatical errors ESL/EFL students often commit.
- English Grammar Express:
A free site for English language students who want to improve their grammar.
- Breaking News in English
Develop your listening skills by studying current events and news by podcast. This website was developed with ESL/EFL students in mind. Podcasts are usually 2 minutes long.
- English Listening Lesson Library Online
This website contains lots of dialogues on various topics by English speakers worldwide. Each dialogue is accompanied with the written text of the dialogue and an audio slide quiz to test for listening comprehension.
- Activities for ESL students
An excellent site for ESL/EFL students. This website has hundreds of ESL podcasts and ESL grammar videos from YouTube to choose from. This site also offers a listen-and-read-along activity on lots of topics.
- Best of the Web:
Resources for International and ESL students, handpicked by the NOVA library.