Open Computer Lab Policies
Students must be currently enrolled at NOVA to use the Open Computer Lab. Continuing Education students can use a library card with a photo ID to access the lab.
Staff and faculty may use the Open Computer Lab and the Faculty and Staff Resource Center.
- Bringing in foods or drinks and consumption of foods or beverages into the computer labs and classrooms is prohibited.
- Place trash in the proper containers and unwanted white paper in recycle bins.
- Children or pets are not allowed in the Open Computer Lab or computer classrooms at any time.
- Keep noise to a minimum. The Open Computer Lab is a place for quiet academic study.
- Loud or profane language for any reason will not be tolerated and may cause dismissal from the center.
- Use of Internet is for course related and research work only.
- Students performing research on the Internet shall have priority over those who are "surfing the Web" for recreation.
Appropriate Use of Computers
The computers in the centers may only be used for college related tasks and activities. The computers are not intended to be used for games or pornographic activities.
- Only college owned and/or course required software may be used on the computers.
- Reproducing computer software without permission violates the U.S. Copyright Law.
- Students must supply their own disks or flash drives.
- Centers and classrooms are not responsible for lost items.
- Students can't save to the hard drive unless instructed to save in a specific directory.
- Do not attempt repairs or adjustments on the equipment yourself.
- Do not change any of the software or hardware configurations under any circumstances.
- If you have a problem, contact one of the lab staff or put a note on the monitor indicating that it is malfunctioning.
- Student laptops and personal computers may not be hooked up to the college network in the classrooms or open centers.
- Using computer technology to access other student’s work is prohibited.
- At the end of each class close all applications.
- The centers and classrooms have printing policies.
- Readable output is provided on laser printers.
- Open Computer Lab has a pay printer system.
- Printing of multiple copies in classrooms is restricted.
- Conserve paper - the supply is limited.
Only use supplied paper for printers unless other permission is granted by the lab manager.