Welcome to the Math & Science Center
Spring Semester tutoring begins Wednesday, January 17, 2018
The Math & Science Center provides academic support for students enrolled in Annandale courses.
You are welcome to drop in to the Center to meet with an available tutor without an appointment. Upon entering and signing in, you are grouped by course at various tables in the Center. Tutors then circulate around the Center answering questions from various courses and topics. Course availability is detailed on our courses by hour schedule.
Individual / Group Study
If you need a quite place to study or if a group of classmates want to meet to discuss coursework, the Math and Science Center is available with the added advantage of tutors being present as a resource.
Software / Computer Use
The Math and Science Center is equipped with desktop computers that are available for use within the Center during hours of operation. Available software includes MS Office, Gnuplot, R, and Wolfram CDF Player.
Tutors can coordinate with faculty members and conduct review sessions prior to exams for a limited number of courses.
Fall 2017 Tutoring Schedule
What to Expect in a Tutoring Session:
Tutors will help you with your work. They can assist you in answering questions regarding homework, reading assignments or lectures.
Tutors will assist you in discovering your learning style -- the most effective way for you to learn.
What Not to Expect in a Tutoring Session:
Tutors will not do your work for you. Tutors will help you to determine the answers on your own by asking you questions.
Tutors are not going to teach you the course material. You must attend class, do assigned reading and take notes in class, in order to come prepared to see a tutor.
- The tutor was fantastic, understood everything and explained it in a way which I could understand. -MTH 152 Student
- The math tutors are always very helpful. I used the Tutoring Center before and it is a great resource that everyone at NOVA should know about and take advantage of. -MTH 241 Student
- Very friendly, nice and helpful. -MTH 166 Student
- Tutors are very helpful. I will come back for help again. -CHM 101 Student
- Great tutors! Friendly and smart! -MTH 163 Student
- I came every exam day to get tutored and got above 'A' or 'B' every time. -MTH 166 Student
- I like the Tutoring Center. It really gives me the tools to do well. -MTH 152 Student
- The tutors are very helpful and make math easier to understand, especially when I need help for a test. -MTH 163 Student
- The tutors are doing an outstanding job. -PHY 201 Student
- The tutors are great and are very helpful. -PHY 231 Student
- Explanations for my questions have been helpful. -MTH 286 Student
- I am pleased with the setup and individuals. -MTH 163 Student
- Saved my grade, good service. -MTH 173 Student
- The Tutoring Center helped tremendously. -MTH 286 Student
- I am so thankful to those who helped. I really liked that they did not just help me with homework, they would explain several times if I did not understand after the first time. I would recommend everyone who has a hard time understanding to use the wonderful opportunity to be helped by wonderful people who work hard in the Tutoring Center. -MTH 241, MTH 271 Student
- I enjoyed the surroundings of the Tutoring Center in which gives a bit of confidence for me to work outside of class. -PHY 231 Student
- The primary reason for my success thus far is access to the tutors. I am able to do most of the studying on my own, but when I come upon a question that I can't answer by myself, I am able to get help. I have been impressed with how well the tutors have been able to explain difficult concepts. -MTH 277 Student
- The tutors were very helpful and willing to work with me on additional problems and explain some confusing concepts. -MTH 173 Student