ASC Mission Statement
Academic Support Services strives to help students reach their full learning potential. We are partners in the development of academic and professional opportunities across disciplines united by NOVA’s common values of success, access and excellence. We welcome students’ unique experiences, knowledge and perspectives and advocate personal educational goals and career readiness for a globally competitive workforce. We accomplish our mission by providing:
- One-on-one tutoring
- Online tutoring
- Subject specific workshops
- Small group study sessions
- Time management/study skills assistance
- Assessment preparation
- Print and electronic resources
- Open access multimedia resources
- Educational software
- Special topics clubs and fellowships -- ex. TED Talks and Conversation Cafe's
Interested in Becoming a Tutor?
Students who meet the following criteria are encouraged to apply to be a tutor:
- Applicants should have at least a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and an A in the course(s) they are interested in working with.
- Applicants must demonstrate strong communication skills, strong study and time management skills, be well organized and have patience and compassion toward others.
- Applicants must be interested in working with a diverse group of students who may be struggling in their coursework and study skills.
The tutoring centers hire on an as-needed basis. If you are a student taking six or more credits and are interested in becoming a tutor, please visit one of the tutoring centers on the fourth floor of the CG building. You can talk with any of the Academic Support Center Supervisors to learn more about how to become a tutor.
If you are a potential applicant who is not taking six or more credits at NOVA, tutoring positions are regularly posted on NOVA's website at nvcc.edu/employment
Do you want to refer your student to one of our tutoring centers or to the library for help with their assignments? Click on the link below to download a student referral slip.