Qualified consultants and tutors at the ASC Writing Center will work with you to develop effective reading, writing and critical thinking strategies. Writing consultants and tutors can help you plan your writing project, help you to structure your essay, prepare an outline, revise your writing, clarify your paper ideas, format papers and citations properly, and/or discuss literature and poetry. They will not proofread or edit your class papers for you.
- Writing Appointments: Each NOVA student may have no more than two appointments per week. Any cancellations or rescheduling must be done at least 24 hours in advance.
- Advance appointments (made at least one day prior) are 50 minutes long. Appointments can be made up to two weeks in advance.
- Same day appointments are up to 30 minutes long. These appointments are on a first-come, first-served basis, and you must stay in the Writing Center to remain in the queue.
- Walk-In Writing Help: Walk-in writing tutors are available help students with quick questions. There is no limit to walk-in tutoring. However, tutors may be helping multiple students at any given time.
- Online Submissions: If you email your paper to email@example.com, one of our writing consultants will respond within THREE business days with comments on your paper. We will not edit or proofread your paper for you, but we will offer constructive feedback to help you become a better writer. You must use your NOVA email to submit your paper.
- Workshops: We offer workshops on various writing topics throughout the semester as part of the Strategies for Educational and Academic Success program (SEAS). Check out the Workshop Calendar for specific topics, dates, times and locations.
- Application Essays, Resumes and Cover Letters: . We will help you with your admissions and scholarship essays,nd job search documents. These are the one exception to our policy of not editing or proofreading. With these documents, we will help you to make the best impression possible!