The Mission of the Academic Success Center (ASC) is to provide resources and support for the acquisition of academic skills in an environment conducive to learning in order to promote student success.
- Vision and Philosophy
- Appointment Tutoring Policies
- Take a Tour of the Center
Vision and Philosophy
The Academic Success Center believes that ALL students are capable learners. Our role is to facilitate student achievement through services, support, encouragement and our contributions to a campus community of learners. We see students as co-creators of their own path to graduation and as active participants in their future success in a diverse and global society.
- All students must sign in at the front desk.
- All students must have their NOVA card or know their EMPILID number.
- Students are allowed the schedule two tutoring sessions per course per week. Please see the Appointment Tutoring Policies page for more information.
- Students must silence or turn off all electronic devices. If a call must be taken, please leave the center before answering your phone.
- In accordance with College policies, children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. If a student brings a child who is unable to sit quietly at the same table or is causing disruptions in the Center, the student will be asked to reschedule their appointment at a time when they can leave the child in someone else’s care.
- Please be respectful and courteous toward peers and staff.
- No food is allowed in the Center. Drinks with secured caps or lids are allowed.
- For more information about these and other policies, review Students’ Rights & Responsibilities.
Appointment Tutoring Policies
- The Academic Success Center offers 50-minute appointments.
- Students are eligible for two tutoring appointments per subject, per week.
- Tutoring appointments can not be made on the same day.
- You may schedule appointments by visiting the Center (AA-229) or by phone 703.845.6363.
- Appointments can be scheduled up to a week in advance.
- There is no guarantee that a tutor will be available for your subject and/or availability.
- Please be respectful of tutors’ and other students’ time by doing your best to arrive on time.
- If you cannot attend your appointment, please call 703.845.6363 to cancel or stop by ASC to let us know.
- ALL cancellations should be made 24 hours in advance!
Missed Appointment Policy
- If you do not come to your appointment or you are more than 15 minutes late, this will count as a “No Show.”
- If you have more than two “No Shows” in one semester or if you cancel more than two appointments with less than 24 hours notice, you will need to meet with a center supervisor prior to scheduling further appointments.
Take a Tour of the Center
Welcome to the Academic Success Center!
(The picture shows a diagram of the Academic Success Center; if a reader is unable to read the diagram, they can read below information about each area in the center.)
- Welcome! All ASC services are FREE and available to all currently enrolled NOVA Students
- Front Desk – Please check-in at the front desk. Our friendly front desk staff will help you to get the services and support you need. You must know your NOVA emplid number.
- Computer Lab – We have 12 computers connected to the NOVA FASTPrint system. All computers are equipped with Microsoft 2013 and assistive technology.
- Media Scape – The Media Scape integrates technology and furniture to bring people, space and information together for greater collaboration and productivity. The table space can be reserved for group projects. Outside of reservations, the table is open on a first come, first serve basis. To reserve the Media Scape just call 703.845.6363 or send your request to email@example.com.
- Gender-neutral Public Restroom – one of three gender-neutral toilets in Bisdorf building. The second restroom can be found on the third floor in the Women’s Center, and the third one is on the first floor in Student Life (AA-134).
- Staff Office Space
- Computer Assisted Technology “CAT” Lab – This small room can be reserved for small group projects, music tutoring, or for the use of the assistive technology. To reserve this space, please call 703.845.6363 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ASC Staff Offices – All ASC staff offices are housed inside the center. If you would like to schedule an appointment with a staff member, please see our ASC Staff information page.
- Tutor Resource Space – break room area for ASC staff only.
- Conference Room – the conference room seats up to 16 people comfortably. In the conference room there is access to a Smartboard as well as a dry erase board. To reserve this space, please call 703.845.6363 or email email@example.com. Outside of reservations, the table is open on a first come, first serve basis.