Start Strong at NOVA
For more information about getting started in ELI courses, visit the Orientation section of ELI's website.
- Take the English and Math placement tests before registering for classes. For information about taking your placement exams at an alternate site, view the Testing Information section of ELI’s Website.
- Activate your NOVA email account.
- Attend a required online Student Orientation to gain information about ELI and register for classes.
- Enroll in the required one-credit College Success Skills course (SDV 100 or 101) during your first year, preferably during your first semester.
- If you tested into developmental courses, register for them during your first semester.
STUDENTS 25 and OLDER or have taken college courses before:
Once you are registered for your courses, visit the ELI Orientation page to learn more about getting started and to sign up for an ELI Orientation Webinar.
- How do I prepare for Student Orientation?
- What can I expect from my First-Year Advisor?
- What can I expect from my Faculty Advisor when I get one?
- What resources can I use?
How do I prepare for Student Orientation?
- Check your NOVA email account regularly, especially the night before your scheduled orientation session.
- Think of questions you want to ask and write them down so you don’t forget.
- Be open to developing and clarifying your goals.
What can I expect from my First-Year Advisor?
Your First-Year Advisor will:
- Help you identify and refine your academic goal.
- Help you choose the appropriate program and courses for that program.
- Help you connect with the appropriate resources.
- Assign you to a faculty advisor who can best help you prepare for your transition.
What can I expect from my Faculty Advisor when I get one?
Your Faculty Advisor will:
- Require you to make an appointment.
- Help you to navigate the academic requirements.
- Expect you to ask questions.
- Be available during office hours.
- Help you prepare for graduation.
What resources can I use?
- ELI Website
- SmarterMeasure Readiness Assessment for Online Learning
- ELI Quick Facts Guide
- Sample Bb Class and Orientation Section
- Testing Center information
- Proctor Request Form
- Virtual Student Union
- 24/7 Free Online Tutoring
For answers to your questions about the Six Policy Changes, check out the FAQ booklet.