GPS for Success – New Students, Ages 17-24
- Take the English and Math placement tests before registering for classes.
- Activate your NOVA email account.
- Attend a required Student Orientation to meet with a first-year advisor and register for classes.
- Enroll in the required one-credit College Success Skills course (SDV 100 or 101) during your first year, preferably during your first semester.
- Register for developmental courses during your first semester, if you tested into developmental courses.
All students must register prior to the start of their course. Registration in SIS ends at 11:59 p.m. the day before a session begins. Students who register after that day and time must come to campus in person to sign up for a course that has open seats and has not started yet. Once students register, they have until 5:00 p.m. the next business day to pay for the course. Students cannot register for a class that already started and cannot add/swap a class once it has begun. Any schedule adjustment needed after a course has begun requires permission from the academic dean.
- How do I prepare for Student Orientation?
- What can I expect from my First-Year Advisor?
- What can I expect from my Faculty Advisor when I get one?
- What resources can I use?
How do I prepare for Student Orientation?
- Check your NOVA email account regularly, especially the night before your scheduled orientation session.
- Think of questions you want to ask and write them down so you don’t forget.
- Be open to developing and clarifying your goals.
What can I expect from my First-Year Advisor?
Your First-Year Advisor will:
- Help you identify and refine your academic goal.
- Help you choose the appropriate program and courses for that program.
- Help you connect with the appropriate resources.
- Assign you to a faculty advisor who can best help you prepare for your transition.
What can I expect from my Faculty Advisor when I get one?
Your Faculty Advisor will:
- Require you to make an appointment.
- Help you to navigate the academic requirements.
- Expect you to ask questions.
- Be available during office hours.
- Help you prepare for graduation.
What resources can I use?
For answers to your questions about the Six Policy Changes, check out the FAQ booklet.