Welcome to the Northern Virginia Community College Website

Accessibility Navigation:

Transient Students

International students may take classes at NOVA while maintaining F-1 status at another college or university. Many students choose to take a few classes during the Summer session or even during the Spring or Fall semesters while continuing to study full time at the school that issued their I-20. These students are sometimes called transient, guest or visiting students.

If you would like to study at NOVA as a transient student, please follow these steps:

  1. Apply onlineThis will create a student ID number for you.
  2. Go to the Student Services Center at the campus where you plan to study.
    Bring the following documents with you:
    • Passport
    • I-94
    • I-20 from your current school
    • I-797 Notice of Action if you have previously changed status
    • A recent letter from the school where you normally study confirming that you are currently in F-1 status.