Lead a Study Abroad Program
10 Steps to Going Abroad
- Get informed. Attend the Fall Faculty Study Abroad workshop or contact Ana Alonso, the study abroad coordinator.
- Talk with past faculty leaders. Contact past faculty members who have led study abroad programs through NOVA for pointers and best practices. You can find faculty contacts through Ana Alonso or the Past NOVA Study Abroad programs link below.
- Design a program and budget. Work with Ana Alonso and utilize the Handbook for details on developing an academically suitable program. Here are the forms you will need to fill out to get started:
- Secure administrative approvals. Follow the International Travel Policy established by the college.
- Market your program. Talk to members of your cluster, visit classrooms, and hold info sessions to advertise your course.
- Collect, review and register applicants. Meet students and monitor deposit deadlines.
- Hold pre-departure orientation. Inform students about country-specific cultural norms and class expectations.
- Bon Voyage!
- Submit post-program report. Follow NOVA’s International Travel Policy.
- NOVA Travel Expense Reimbursement Voucher
- Share program outcomes with NOVA community. Hold a session with your students at Welcome Back Week, the Power Up Your Pedagogy conference, or during a semester to share what they studied and learned while abroad.
Study Abroad Contact
Assistant Dean of World Languages
College Coordinator for Study Abroad