Analyzes military campaigns of the Civil War, including factors contributing to the defeat of the Confederacy and problems created by war. May include field trips to Civil War sites in the region. Lecture 3 hours per week.
GENERAL COURSE PURPOSE
Provide a course of special interest to students and citizens of all ages.
Preferable, but not mandatory, that students complete HIS 121 prior to enrollment. Ability to use the English language correctly and effectively at the college level is expected.
Help students understand the determinants, nature, and consequences of the major military campaigns of the American Civil War.
MAJOR TOPICS TO BE COVERED
2. Union campaigns to capture Richmond
3. Confederate counter invasions of the North
4. Valley campaigns of 1862 and 1864
5. Struggle over strategic western rivers
6. Allegheny Barrier
7. Atlanta campaign and the March to the Sea