- Activate the nearest fire alarm and call 9-1-1 if possible. If there are no fire alarms, knock on doors and yell “fire” as you exit the building.
- Evacuate the building.
- Do not use elevators!
- Feel closed doors with the back of your hand. Do not open if doors are hot.
- Move far away from the building when evacuating and gather at designated assembly areas.
- Do not re-enter the building until authorized by emergency personnel.
Note: Use a portable fire extinguisher only under the following conditions:
- You are trained in the use of extinguishers.
- You know what is burning.
- Fire is not spreading rapidly.
- Smoke and heat have not filled the area.
- You have a clear path of escape.
For more information, view the MEC Safety Committee's Portable Fire Extinguisher Training PowerPoint presentation.
- The College Is:
- Homeland Security