The following are some precautions that can be used to limited your risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens.
- Make sure to use personal protection equipment (PPE).
- Make sure PPE fits properly.
- Check PPE for flaws or damage.
- Remove and dispose of PPE before leaving work area.
- Cover cuts before wearing gloves.
- Use single-use, disposable gloves.
- Change gloves after touching body fluids.
- If a glove tears or becomes contaminated, remove and discard.
- When removing gloves, never touch the outside.
- Wash hands after removing gloves.
- Wear masks along with eye protection to protect from splatters.
- Wear gowns to protect clothing or skin from exposure.
Cap and Shoe Covers
- Wear when large amounts of blood are anticipated.
Emergency respiratory devices and pocket masks
- Wear when resuscitating someone to isolate from body fluids.
- Keep them where most needed (ie., with first aid kits).
- The College Is:
- Homeland Security