If you’re at risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens on the job, Hepatitis B Virus(HBV), Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) and/or Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), the following are some precautions you can follow.
- Make sure to use Personal Protection Equipment PPE.
- Make sure it fits properly.
- Check for flaws or damage.
- Remove and dispose of PPE before leaving work area.
- Cover cuts before wearing gloves.
- Use single-use, disposable gloves.
- Change gloves between patients.
- If gloves tear or become contaminated, remove and discard.
- When removing gloves, never touch the outside.
- Wash hands after removing gloves.
- Wear a mask along with eye protection to protect from splatters.
- Wear a gown to protect clothing or skin from exposure.
Cap and Shoe Covers
- Wear cap and shoe covers when large amounts of blood are anticipated.
Emergency Respiratory Devices and Pocket Masks
- Wear emergency respiratory device and pocket mask when resuscitating patients to isolate from body fluids.
- The College Is:
- Homeland Security