Microsoft Remote Desktop Client (Mac)
If you are interested in using the full version of Outlook instead of Web Outlook from home or off-campus, you can connect to the college’s Remote Server (Terminal Server) and use any of the Microsoft Office programs available there, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook.
Additionally, while connected to the remote server, you can map your network drives just as if you were sitting at your office desktop computer.
To obtain the Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac 2:
1. Click here for the download page.
2. Follow the next steps to complete the installation.
To install this software:
- Print this page if you want to use it as a reference when you are offline.
- Quit any applications that are running, including all Office applications, Microsoft Messenger, and Office Notifications, because they might interfere with installation.
- Make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements.
- Click Download, or click the link for the language version that you want.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to save the file to your hard disk. If you are using Safari, the downloaded file is saved to the desktop unless you specified a different location in the Preferences dialog box of Safari. To check your preferences, on the Safari menu, click Preferences, and then click General.
- Double-click the file you downloaded in step 5 to place the Remote Desktop Connection volume on your desktop, and then double-click the Remote Desktop Connection volume to open it. This step might have been performed for you.
- In the Remote Desktop Connection volume window, double-click the Remote Desktop Connection.mpkg package to start the installation process, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
- If the installation finishes successfully, you can remove the installer from your hard disk. To remove the installer, first drag the Remote Desktop Connection volume to the Trash, and then drag the file that you downloaded to the Trash.
After you install this software:
To learn how to set up Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac 2 for the first time, open Remote Desktop Connection, and then on the Help menu, click Setup Steps.
To remove this software:
To remove Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac 2, move the Remote Desktop Connection application to the Trash, and then on the Finder menu, click Empty Trash.
To connect to the remote server:
1. Open Finder and search for Remote Desktop Connection.
2. In the Computer: field, type nvcc-remote3-v.nvcc.edu and click Connect.
Note: nvcc-remote1-v.nvcc.edu and nvcc-remote4-v.nvcc.edu are also available.
3. You will see the following dialog:
- Click Connect.
4. You will then be prompted for your User name, Password, and Domain.
5. For User Name type in: your username. This will be the same username one that you use on your computer at work. Enter your normal password and NVCC for Domain then click OK.
6. Once you are signed in to a Terminal Server, you will find the Microsoft Office programs under Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office.
Refer to the section on Mapping a Network Drive to learn how to map to the G: and H: drives once you are connected to the Terminal Server.