Windows XP Wireless Settings
The NOVA wireless network uses the 802.1x Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) for secure wireless access. The 802.1x EAP protocol provides added security over standard Wired Equivalency Protocol (WEP) by using dynamic WEP keys, that change periodically without user interaction.
1. Click on the Start menu, choose Connect To then Show all connections.
2. In the Network Connections window, right click on the Wireless Network icon and choose properties.
3. Under the Wireless Network Connection Properties configuration window, on the General tab, make sure the checkbox next to Show icon in notification area when connected, is checked.
4. Select the Wireless Networks tab.
5. Under Preferred networks, click on the Add button.
6. On the Wireless network properties window, on the Association tab, enter the Network name (SSID). For NOVA students enter NOVA. (The SSID is case sensitive).
7. Network Authentication should be Open.
8. Data encryption should be WEP.
9. Make sure the checkbox next to The key is provided to me automatically, is checked.
10. Next click on the Authentication tab.
11. If not already checked, check Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network.
12. For EAP type, choose Protected EAP (PEAP).
13. Uncheck the box next to Authenticate as computer when computer information is available.
14. Click the Properties button under EAP type.
15. Uncheck the box next to Validate server certificate.
16. Under Select authentication method, Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2) should already be selected.
17. Make sure the Enable fast reconnect box is unchecked.
18. Click the Configure button next to the Select authentication method drop down box.
19. Under the EAP MSCHAPv2 Properties window, uncheck the box next to Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any).
20. Click OK on all the buttons to close the configuration windows, then Close to shut the Wireless Network Connection Status Window.
The laptop is now configured to communicate on the NOVA wireless network.
Logging into the NOVA wireless network
1. After the wireless card authenticates with the wireless Access Point, a message balloon will pop up on the network icon in the task bar. Click on this balloon to open the Network logon box.
2. Enter your NVCC Lan logon id under Username.
3. Enter your NVCC Lan password under Password.
4. Enter NVCC for Domain.
After logging on, it may take a couple of minutes for the computer to receive an IP address from the DHCP server.