Mac OS Wireless Settings
Configuring Mac OS X (10.3 Only), For Use on the NOVA Wireless Network
The NOVA wireless network uses the 802.1x Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) for secure wireless access. The 802.1x EAP protocol provides added security over standard Wired Equivalency Protocol (WEP) by using dynamic WEP keys, that change periodically without user interaction.
Using the Mac OS X (10.3.x) Panther 802.1x Client
You can now use Apple Laptop computers (PowerBooks --"TiBooks" and "AlBooks" -- as well as iBooks) that have AirPort wireless cards with the NOVAEmployees-Wireless network. The only catch is that you must upgrade to Mac OS X 10.3.x, Panther. There is no way to have an earlier version of the Mac OS (10.0.x, 10.1.x, or "Jaguar" 10.2.x) use the NVCC-Wireless network.
Get and install a supported wireless card.
Your best bet is to stick with an Airport 802.11b or 802.11g wireless network card, which does work with the NOVAEmployees Wireless network. Cisco's wireless card and drivers for PowerBooks should also work.
Make sure TCP/IP is configured correctly for use with your Airport wireless card.
1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences. On the System Preferences window, click once on the Network system preference in the Internet & Network section. You should see the following system preference pane:
2. Either double-click on the Airport item or select the Airport item and click the Configure... button.
3. This will display the TCP/IP configuration options for your wireless connection. Click on the TCP/IPtab near the top of the preference pane.
4. Configure IPv4 should be set to Using DHCP. If it doesn't say that, select it from the pop-up menu.
5. Close the Network system preference pane and quit from within the System Preferencesapplication.
Select the Airport menu from the menu bar at the top of your display; the icon is shaped like a piece of pie. You should see an item that reads Turn Airport On (if you do not see this, your Airport card may already be turned on).
Configure the 802.1x client.
1. To do this, first select Open Internet Connect... from the Airport menu (above).
2. To enable Panther's 802.1x client, select New 802.1X Connection... from Internet Connect's File menu.
3. A new toolbar icon will now be displayed on the Internet Connect window, and you will now be able to edit its 802.1x settings.
4. From the Configuration: pop-up menu, select Edit Configurations...
5. Type NVCC\username in the User Name: box and your standard password in the Password:box.
Type NOVAEmployees in the wireless Network: box. ***"NOVAEmployess" is case sensitive****
6. Press Connect to connect to the wireless network.
7. The status should change to connected via LEAP.
8. To disconnect, just select the Turn Airport Off from the Airport menu.