Purpose: This curriculum is designed to train students to become knowledgeable fitness instructors in health clubs, recreation departments, and fitness facilities in business and industry.
Recommended Preparation: Students are expected to attain high levels of fitness during this program and, consequently, should be in good health to participate in vigorous workouts.
1. Special Admission Information: No classes will be waived without permission of a Fitness Certificate advisor.
2. Completion Requirements: The following must be met to obtain the Fitness Career Studies Certificate:
1. Attain a good to excellent score on three out of five fitness assessments.
2. Achieve a grade of C or better in all certificate courses.
3. Score 80% or higher on the exit exam.
4. Hold a current CPR certification.
Other suggested courses (not required): DIT 121 Nutrition I; PED 195 Topics in Kinesiology/Biomechanics; PED 195 Topics in Exercise Physiology; PED 195 Topics in Personal Trainer Preparation; or PED 195 Topics in Group Exercise.
1 May substitute PED 190 (2 cr.)with approval of a fitness advisor.